Some points to make:
• My name is _____ [and explain your business or operation]
• The COVID-19 crisis has devastated Oregon businesses, forcing many employers to lay off workers. The focus now should be on putting people back to work, not worrying about costly and unfair litigation.
• I am worried that even though I’m taking steps to follow public health guidelines, I’m still at risk of a lawsuit from a customer or employee saying that I didn’t do enough to protect them from exposure.
• One of these lawsuits would cripple my business. It’s already tough to keep my doors open in these challenging economic times. Please don’t leave me exposed to unnecessary legal risk!
• Businesses need temporary and targeted COVID-19 liability relief to prevent further financial jeopardy as Oregon starts to reopen.
• Temporary COVID-19 liability protections are not a license for a business to intentionally ignore safety precautions. However, targeted liability protection will ensure that employers who are following best practices and state-issued public health guidelines don’t suffer further economic harm.
• My family and business have been through a lot since the coronavirus took hold. We’re all trying our best and learning as we go – both about this virus and this new world.
• I ask you to pass temporary and targeted liability protections to shield local businesses from legal risk when they are following state public health guidelines to protect employees and customers from the novel coronavirus.
• Thank you for your leadership during these unprecedented times.